46 Weeks in Ottawa, Smiths Falls and Arnprior
About this Addictions & Community Services Worker Diploma Program with co-op
Are you a caring, compassionate person who wants to help others? Do you want hands-on Addictions Counsellor and Community Service Worker training that will get you a job quickly in the Ottawa area and beyond? If so, then the Addictions and Community Services Worker with co-op diploma program might be right for you. This program is designed to provide graduates with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to administer and implement a variety of social and community-based service programs, and can be taken at our Ottawa and Smiths Falls campuses. Take Addictions Counsellor training, Community Services Worker programs and other general counselling training courses that will make you job ready the moment you graduate.
Fast-Tracked Counselling Training
You will develop skills in client assessment, proper referral making, and monitoring and evaluating effectiveness, of client treatment. This program includes addictions counselling, community service worker and general counselling training at our Ottawa and Smiths Falls campuses.
You will obtain certifications in:
- Non Violent Crisis Intervention (NVCI)
- Red Cross First Aid / CPR Level
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
Is this Addictions Counselling and Community Services Worker Program Right for you?
This Addictions Counselling and Community Services Worker program is an excellent fit for:
- someone who is caring, works well in a team atmosphere, and is passionate about helping others.
- a mature student who has previous job experience looking to enhance and develop new or existing skills that are relevant in today’s job market.
- a recent graduate who wants to specialize in an emerging and in-demand health field.
- someone who wants to fast-track to a new and exciting career in healthcare.
- someone seeking fast, hands-on skills training in addictions counselling and community services worker courses.
Program Course List
- Microsoft Essentials
- Written Communication
- Professional Documentation and Case Management
- Conflict Resolution Strategies
- Law for Service Workers
- Populations at Risk
- Self-Care and Team Building
- Introduction to Sociology
- Introduction to Social Welfare
- Introduction to Psychology
- Mental Health
- Family Development and Functions
- Counselling Techniques
- Solution-Focused Intervention Techniques
- Fundamentals of Addiction
- Relapse Prevention and Recovery
- Certifications in Non Violent Crisis Intervention (NVCI), Red Cross First Aid / CPR Level C, and Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
- Career Management
- Practicum Placement (co-op)
The Co-op Advantage: 8 weeks
- On the job experience even before you graduate
- Great networking opportunities for potential hiring after graduation
- Practical skills training and development
- Work with real clients
- Potential job references to add to your resume
- Smooth transition into the job market
- Willis College will find you a co-op* in this program
*providing you have met all academic and financial obligations four (4) weeks prior to commencement of placement
Addictions Counsellors and Community Services Workers work in personal support roles with youth and adults in a variety of community settings. The addictions counselling training and community services worker programs offered in this program make you job ready the moment you graduate. Successful graduates of this program may pursue a variety of interesting positions, including:
- Addictions Worker
- Group Home Support Worker
- Community Services Worker
- Women’s Shelter Worker
- Corrections Facility Professional
- Youth Worker
- Women’s Centre Coordinator
- Addictions Counsellor
The National Occupational Classification (NOC) Code for this program: 4212
Willis College Student Benefits
Willis College offers a full range of services to assist students, including:
- 151 Years of Job Ready Skills Training Excellence!
- Postsecondary diploma programs with co-op placements for many programs!
- Frequent start dates!
- Many Financial Aid options available, if you qualify.
- Industry recognized certifications.
- Certified and experienced instructors with practical experience!
- Exclusive partnerships with Fortune 500 companies!
- Willis College hosts interviews with employers on campus before graduation!
- Help with Canadian Government Security Clearance application!
- Access to the only Multivendor Cyber Security Lab in Canada, located on Campus!
- Access to Veteran Friendly Transition Program services for Canadian Veterans!
- You receive laptops, software, and have access to exclusive labs during program!
- Career/Job preparation seminars!
- Pearson VUE Test Centre on-site!
- Personal e-mail with back-up storage.
- Approved tax receipts for 100% of tuition fees.
- Grade 12 (Secondary School Diploma) or GED equivalence
- Willis College Entrance Assessment. If you are a Mature Student (over 18 years of age), you can gain admittance by writing a free entrance assessment test. Note: students with foreign credentials, regardless of whether their documents have been translated/compared or not, should be tested to establish literacy in the English language.
International Student? Click here
Additional Information: Find Out More…
To learn more about the career opportunities in Healthcare and to explore if this is the right career training option for you, click here to fill out the Request Information Form to receive info on career stats, courses, training options, financial aid and more!
Or, call us at 1-877-233-1128
“Over the last few years I pursued my passion for travel and discovery by working a contract in Afghanistan for our Military Personnel. Prior to working overseas I was a hairstylist for 25 years. When I came home in November with a renewed perspective on life, I realized that I really needed a change that would allow me to help out in my local community. I searched online to see what career path resonated with me and I discovered the CSW program at Willis College. They put me on the right path. I am a mature student and with the small class sizes you get a more personal experience with the instructor and staff. ”
~ Sharon Fitzpatrick, Willis Graduate, Community Service Worker
See what other graduates have to say about their Willis College experience here
*Please Note: not all programs are offered on all campuses. Please contact the campus nearest you for program details.