Get Your College Diploma in 60 Weeks
Offered at the Ottawa Campus
About the Mobile Software Developer Program
Willis College’s Mobile Software Developer Program with a co-op teaches you the skills required to become a software developer and join this lucrative market. These skills are applicable to mobile software development and traditional desktop/server software development.
While multi-year programs compartmentalize subjects and go into great depths, this program trims content to progressively focus on the essential principles and tools for an entry-level software developer position. These principles are taught through practical examples, repeated in various scenarios, and used to give students a comparative view from which they learn insight and intuition – critical for the never-ending learning in software development.
26 million Canadians – out of a total of 34.4 million – own a mobile device today. Mobile devices help us communicate, entertain, do business and banking, educate ourselves, and a whole host of other things on the move. All these devices require software to enable these different capabilities, and there is a shortage of software developers.
“Ottawa-Gatineau area would need to fill over 9,700 Information and Communication Technology (ICT) positions over the next five years.”
In the Mobile Software Developer program, you gain a working knowledge and understanding of how to:
- use software development tools such as Android Studio.
- create, debug, troubleshoot, and maintain code and software systems.
- effectively use the principles of Object-Oriented Design.
- gather requirements and document them for a software project.
- design software systems using traditional tools such as flow charting and pseudo code, and use advanced tools such as Unified Modeling Language (UML) and Prototyping.
- explain the primary concepts common to operating systems and the nature of development challenges in single threaded vs. multithreaded real time environments.
- understand the role of digital and analog electronics in modern technologies.
- develop solutions for mobile applications.
- develop solutions for desktop/server applications.
- manage projects and secure intellectual property.
Successful graduates of this program may pursue a variety of interesting positions, including:
- Web Programmer / Developer
- Application Programmer / Developer
- Internet Site Designer
- Software Programmer / Developer
- Mobile Programmer / Developer
- Database Programmer / Developer
- iPhone Programmer / Developer
- Android Programmer / Developer
- BlackBerry Programmer / Developer
- Window Phone Programmer / Developer
Note: Some career and education options may require advanced degrees, further training, or experience.
- Ontario Average Wage ($/hr) – $33.65
- Ontario High Wage ($/hr) – $42.56
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) code for this program: 2283 (Source: jobbank.gc.ca)
- Updated 01 2018
Mobile Software Developer Course List
- Introduction to Computer Architecture
- Programming I – Logics and Algorithms in Java
- Programming II – Data: Structures, Storage, and Processing
- Programming III – Object-Oriented Analysis and Design
- Business Skills for IT
- HTML and Markup Languages
- Cascading Style Sheets
- Android App Development
- Career Management
Willis College Student Benefits
Willis College offers a full range of services to assist students, including:
- 151 Years of Job Ready Skills Training Excellence!
- Postsecondary diploma programs with co-op placements for many programs!
- Frequent start dates!
- Many Financial Aid options available, if you qualify.
- Industry recognized certifications.
- Certified and experienced instructors with practical experience!
- Exclusive partnerships with Fortune 500 companies!
- Willis College hosts interviews with employers on campus before graduation!
- Access to the only Multivendor Cybersecurity Lab in Canada, located on Campus!
- Access to Veteran Friendly Transition Program services for Canadian Veterans!
- You receive laptops, software, and have access to exclusive labs during program!
- Career/Job preparation seminars!
- Pearson VUE Test Centre on-site!
- Personal e-mail with back-up storage.
- Approved tax receipts for 100% of tuition fees.
- Minimum Grade 12 (Secondary School Diploma) or GED equivalence
- Willis College Entrance Assessment. If you are a Mature Student (over 18 years of age), you can gain admittance by writing a free entrance assessment test. Note: students with foreign credentials, regardless of whether their documents have been translated/compared or not, should be tested to establish literacy in the English language.
- Take the Willis college aptitude assessment for software development and meet the required score for entrance
International Student? Click here
Additional Information: Find Out More…
To learn more about the career opportunities in Technology and to explore if this is the right career training option for you, click here to fill out the Request Information Form to receive info on career stats, courses, training options, financial aid, and more!
Or, call us at 1-877-233-1128