About the Personal Support Worker Diploma Program
Diploma Program Length: 30 Weeks
PSW Program delivery regulated by MTCU, MOHLTC & NACC
National Association of Career Colleges (NACC) approved curriculum
Stand out from all the other PSW graduates with 7 additional industry certifications and certificates in your program that employers demand in the workplace.
The Personal Support Worker program offers a fast-track, hands-on skills training program with 2-3 practicums guaranteed which often lead to employment in Ottawa, Arnprior and Smiths Fall. You become a qualified Personal Support Worker and enter the in-demand healthcare field in only 30 weeks. Are you interested in working with people in need on a one-on-one basis? The PSW courses in this program enables you to develop skills required to provide personal support services to patients/clients of all ages and their families, in the Ottawa Valley community, at home, in hospitals and in long-term care facilities.
- 7 Additional Industry Certifications & Certificates which employers demand
- Recognized PSW Certificate by MTCU, MOHLTC, NACC and employers
- 1st Aid/CPR with Red Cross – accepted by all employers/organizations world wide
- National Association of Career Colleges (NACC) approved curriculum
- Classrooms and labs that simulate real-world healthcare settings, including hospital beds, wheel chairs, lifts and other required equipment
- 10 weeks of 2-3 Clinical work placements in a community & long-term care facilities
- Personal assistance for job placement
- Graduates get 2 job offers during their work placement terms
Services provided by a personal support worker include: assistance in routine daily living activities, mobility, personal care and hygiene, ongoing medical conditions and medications, and management of household activities. Students will learn to assist with the duties of everyday living in all types of settings, for all types of clients.
- Willis College Personal Support Worker Diploma
- National Association of Career Colleges (NACC) PSW Certificate Pin
- CPR/1st Aid from Red Cross Certificate
- Gentle Persuasive Approaches in Dementia Care Certificate GPA
- Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Certificate CPI
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System Certificate WHMIS
- Fire Safety Certificate
- Falls Prevention Certificate
- Food Safety – Food Handler Certificate
- 8 week CO-OP
National Association of Career Colleges (NACC) approved curriculum
Is the Personal Support Worker Program Right for you?
This program is an excellent fit for:
- Someone who is caring, works well in a team atmosphere, and is passionate about helping others
- A mature student who has previous job experience looking to enhance and develop new or existing skills that are relevant to today’s job market
- A recent graduate who wants to specialize in an emerging and in-demand health field
- Someone who wants to fast-track to a new and exciting career in healthcare
- Someone interested in fast-tracked, hands on PSW courses
The COOP Advantage: 10 weeks
- On the job experience even before you graduate
- Great networking opportunities for potential hiring after graduation
- Practical personal support worker skills training and development
- Work with real clients
- Potential job references to add to your resume
- Smooth transition into the job market
- Willis College will find you a COOP and is guaranteed in this program
Personal Support Worker Career Opportunities
Successful graduates of this program may pursue a wide variety of interesting and rewarding professions, including:
- Personal Support Worker
- Healthcare Aide
- Personal Aide
- Long Term Care Aide
- Patient Care Aide
- Patient Service Associate
- Personal Care Attendant – medical
- Resident Care Aide – medical
The National Occupational Classification (NOC) Code for this Program: 3413
Willis College Student Benefits
Willis College offers a full range of services to assist students, including:
- 120 Years of Job Ready Skills Training Excellence!
- Post-secondary diploma programs with co-op placements for many programs!
- Frequent start dates!
- Many Financial Aid options available, if qualified
- Industry recognized certifications
- Certified and experienced instructors with practical experience!
- Exclusive partnerships with fortune 500 companies!
- Willis College hosts interviews with employers on campus before graduation!
- Help with Canadian Government Security Clearance application!
- Full Access to the only Fortinet Certified Lab in Canada, located on Campus!
- Students receive laptops, software and have access to exclusive labs during program!
- Career/Job preparation seminars!
- Pearson VUE Test Center on-site!
- Personal e-mail with back-up storage
- Discounts to those who decide to further their education with us
- Approved Tax Receipts for 100% of Tuition Fees
- Grade 12 (Ontario Secondary School Diploma) or GED equivalence
- Willis College Entrance Assessment. If you are a Mature Student (over 18 years of age) you can gain admittance by writing an entrance assessment test. Note: Students with foreign credentials, regardless of whether their documents have been translated/compared or not, should be tested to establish literacy in the English language.
- Meet any specific program admission requirements, please contact us by contacting us:
Ottawa 613.233.1128 * Smiths Falls 613.283.1905 * Arnprior 613.623.1114
- Visit the College, be interviewed regarding the program and labour market information and careers
International Student? Click here
Additional Information: Find Out More…
To learn more about the career opportunities in Healthcare and explore if this is right career training option for you, fill out the Request Information Form at the top of this page to receive info on career stats, courses, training options, financial aid and more!
Or to speak directly with an Admissions Consultant now, contact the campus nearest you:
Ottawa Campus: 613 233 1128
Smiths Falls Campus: 613-283-1905
Arnprior Campus: 613-623-1114
“ When I first walked into Willis, I didn’t know what to expect. It was a small college and I was used to big schools. However, all it took was that first day to realize that Willis was the place for me!…It wasn’t just school, it was a place to grow and have A LOT of fun doing it! I have graduated from Willis College at the top of my class with Distinction and I had a job in the PSW field before I even finished! None of that would have been possible if not for Willis and the amazing staff there! So thank you Willis, I couldn’t have asked for more, you made my dream come true. ”
~Chelsea LaForce-Syme, Personal Support Worker
See what other graduates have to say about their Willis College experience here.
*Please Note: Not all programs are offered on all campuses. Please contact the campus nearest you for program details.