Dr. William Commanda Willis Scholarship
Willis College, with 11 locations across Ontario, is announcing the scholarship in partnership with TeKnoWave Inc.
Willis College of Business, Health & Technology and TeKnoWave Inc. are proud of its association with Elder and Grandfather Dr. William Commanda and have chosen to establish The Dr. William Commanda Scholarship in Clean Energy and Business Education.
The scholarship will be awarded annually to eleven Aboriginal students from across Canada who would otherwise not have the opportunity to obtain the career-oriented education provided at Willis College.
The scholarship will accommodate one Aboriginal person, per location, to take one program in clean energy or business valued at ten thousand dollars. The Scholarship provides tuition and book cost for a one year program at Willis College. The student may select courses from the curriculum offered at the time of selection. Students will also be able to choose which Willis College location they wish to attend.
The evaluation and award process will take place annually in Ottawa with many prominent individuals involved on the scholarship board of trustees. Students of First Nations, Metis or Inuit heritage will be chosen based on academics and community involvement along with other criteria. The scholarship is administered by The Dr. William Commanda Board of Trustees.
Interested candidates must apply by July 1. To find out how, click here.
Willis College of Business, Health, & Technology established in 1896 stands as an ongoing testament to the creativity, tenacity, and strength of Canadian private career colleges and maintains a corporate mission statement to provide a quality adult educational learning environment where the creative interests and development of our students are paramount. Willis specializes in accredited adult career education. Students may take individual courses to upgrade their skills or enroll in a full career program that leads them to attractive jobs in the clean energy and business sectors.
Algonquin Elder William Commanda from Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg, Maniwaki, Quebec was born on November 11, 1913. He was acclaimed chief of the Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg for over nineteen years. He received an Honorary Doctorate Degree from the University of Ottawa in 2005. In December 2008, he was appointed Officer of the Order of Canada and in November 2009, the National Aboriginal Achievement Awards Foundation announced his selection as the 2010 Lifetime Achievement Award recipient.
- ”The Scholarship” was announced in January 11th, 2010. The Scholarship carries a nominal value, at the time of announcement, of $110,000.
- The scholarship will accommodate one Aboriginal person, per location, to take one program in clean energy or business valued at ten thousand dollars. Students will be able to choose which Willis College location they with to attend.
- The Scholarship is available to qualified First Nations, Inuit and Métis students to pursue clean energy and business studies.
- The Scholarship is awarded annually to a qualified student selected by the Dr. William Commanda Scholarship Board of Trustees Selection Committee.
- The Scholarship provides tuition and books for up to a one year program at Willis College of Business, Health and Technology’s eleven locations. The student may select courses from the curriculum offered at the time of selection.
- The Scholarship is non-transferable and may be applied to academic career courses only.
- The student may attend courses during a 12-month period from the time the courses are started at Willis College campuses offering the selected courses.
Interested candidates must apply by July 1. To find out how, click here
Any Aboriginal student in Canada who wishes to apply may do so directly through Willis College by July 1st. The candidate selection will be made by the Dr. William Commanda Scholarship Board of Trustees and will entitle the winner to attend the program of his/her choice at any of the Willis College campuses across Ontario.
Basis of Selection
The Selection Committee is looking for candidates with proven intellectual and academic ability, integrity of character, interest and respect for fellow human beings, ability to lead, demonstrate leadership and creativity in the areas of environmental stewardship and sustainable relationships, appreciation for education, and initiative to use their talents to the fullest.
Method of Selection
A Selection Committee, consisting of representatives of the Dr. William Commanda Scholarship Board of Trustees, will choose the successful candidate. The decision of the Selection Committee is final.
Method of Application
The completed application, with all the required information must be forwarded to:
Selection Committee Dr. William Commanda Scholarship Board of Trustees
c/o Willis College of Business, Health & Technology
85 O'Connor Street
Ottawa, ON K1P 5M6
The applicant must:
(i) Have a minimum of Grade 12 high school or be of age of 19 and over; and
(ii) Provide a transcript of marks from a previous academic institution.
Payment of AwardThe successful candidate will be presented with the award and a commemorative certificate at The Dr. William Commanda Scholarship Award Annual General Assembly, which is held each summer at Willis College Ottawa campus.